Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

20.4.07

Are we, like, transients or Gypsies or something?

I thought gooey cups were left behind with the previous roommate, but I've noticed that more and more I've been guarding my dishware and junk to make sure it doesn't get nicked or covered with gunk. Like, stuff just gets washed poorly and left with what seems like a thin layer of cholesterol coating it. But, you know, my parents recently went to Florida and brought me back a cute mug making some joke about how it is rocket science or that it does take a rocket scientist or something, having visited that space center. I appreciate a new mug as well as any, perhaps more than most. I left it out for a while thinking nobody would do anything to a nice new mug, but after a month, something was bound to happen. I found it today by the sink filled with a dark liquid with bizarre globs of fat floating in it and what looked like candle wax on the rim. By it were a couple other glasses filled with, well, other mysterious liquids. Now, I just finished Marilynne Robinson's Housekeeping the other day, and so the first thing coming to mind [well, after the obvious comparison to Gypsies and their unclean habits] was, what are we, friggin transients or something? When I was a student, it was one thing to live with the possibility of my friggin new mugs getting covered with unknown lipids, but I'm not really in the mood for that kind of nonsense any more. And, of course, the occasion for this was scrubbing indeterminate crusty things off of the tupperware thingy I bought a few weeks ago to cook ramen (aka, my dinner tonight) in (the other one got nicked a long time ago and only sporadically shows up, I gave up and bought another).

But seriously: WTF?

PS Three days ago, I was supposed to receive a package from Amazon.com through UPS. Their BS message on the day they were supposed to deliver it:
A CORRECT STREET NUMBER IS NEEDED FOR DELIVERY. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN THIS INFORMATION;A POSTCARD HAS BEEN SENT TO THE RECIPIENT REQUESTING THAT THEY CONTACT UPS.
WTF? Since then, they have delivered four other packages ordered through Amazon.com to this very address. But what really gets me: how could they send me a postcard if they don't have the right address???

2 Comments:

At 23/4/07 01:13, Blogger Patrick said...

I left it out for a while thinking nobody would do anything to a nice new mug...

That's a non sequitur, given your typical roommates. You need to find a nice septuagenarian to rent from, they don't let that kind of stuff happen in their homes.

 
At 23/4/07 18:47, Blogger Mr. G. Z. T. said...

The previous roommate, he would have never ruined a new mug. In retrospect, he was covering 25 cent plastic cups or mugs we nicked from the dining hall with goo - nothing actually good. Annoying, yes. But we could have things that were actually good if we really wanted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home