Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

27.4.06

revenge

I was going to go to the early morning liturgy today, but at 11pm last night I suddenly realized I had a pile of homework to grade for tomorrow [d'oh]. I could not do both! So, as revenge, I'm going to mercilessly mock some of the mistakes. I'm glad Anna is in the class, since that means at least one paper will have short and accurate proofs. Otherwise I'd go insane.

A geometrical description of what two linearly independent vectors look like in R3: some sort of quadrilateral pyramid vector subspace. Correct answer: a plane

Two-thirds of the proofs about linear independence: vague and verbose waffling instead of, like, trying to equate a linear combination of vectors to zero.

Somebody, please, a shot in the arm...

1 Comments:

At 27/4/06 22:42, Blogger Patrick said...

Has anyone told them that in linear algebra (or even much of abstract algebra), there's only ONE reasonable procedure to do the problem asked? The linear independence stuff is a good example, but so's the First Isomorphism Theorem in group theory. You say, "Well, I'm supposed to prove it's injective. So look, let f(a)=f(b). Now I'll show that a=b. There we go."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home