Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

26.7.05

Aaaaand...

...looks like for the next few weeks I might be the only altar server [besides the little boy]. No rotation. Which is fine by me, I have so few joys in this world. Unless we get M. back in the rotation. Question: is he a subdeacon, and will he be subdeacing at the diaconal ordination on Saturday? Two subdeacons are needed and I know that one subdeacon will be there, Subdcn T. The last time we had a hierarchical divine liturgy there was only one subdeacon, which only led to pain in the end [I had to bear the dikiri, not cool]. Sigh.

5 Comments:

At 26/7/05 12:13, Blogger Alice Teresa said...

Yes, I'm very happy I'm a girl and so will never need to pretend to be a minister (of any level).

Sorry about the subdeacon thing, though.

 
At 26/7/05 19:51, Blogger Caelius said...

Is the subdiaconate considered a major order among the Orthodox? It's essentially a minor order among us. I used to perform the equivalent function every once in a while under another name. The only actual subdeaconm I ever knew was an Anglophile physician of fitness greater than her antiquity would suggest by the name of Joan Mary Roberts.

 
At 26/7/05 23:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a minor order, but it's a very important one. Elevation to the subdiaconate is considered an ordination and they are, unlike the other minor orders, able to touch things on the altar [namely, the dikiri and trikiri, but the permission to take them off is presumed to extend to other items]. In the Greek tradition, they are also able to read the first few litanies of the liturgy. They wear an orarion [stole] and are considered "hip to the jive".

 
At 27/7/05 11:21, Blogger Caelius said...

Which explains Mr. Thompson's discomfort with pretending to be one.

 
At 27/7/05 11:22, Blogger Caelius said...

Sorry, I mean the business about the altar vessels. Mr. Thompson is definitely "hip to the jive (or half-jive)."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home