O Lord, I have heard your report and was afraid...
Yesterday was the Prophet Habbakuk, Prophet Obadiah by the Old Calendar, and today is the Prophet Zephaniah. So many prophets, but the Prophet Avvakoum is quoted in both the Nativity and the Paschal hymnography. Somebody said he's the only one referred to in both, I can't tell if that's true [surely Isaiah and Ezekiel must?! perhaps only minor prophet?], but I've always been struck by the image of him keeping divine watch with us for the radiant angel who proclaims Christ's resurrection and the salvation of the world. Be silent and keep watch!
Note on the link: I really need to find St. Gregory Nazianzus' paschal homilies.
Second note: must stop before I get depressed, it's too long until Pascha to read too much of that. Though what always gets me is not this canon, but the canon for Holy Saturday, the bit where it goes something like,
Isaiah saw the never-setting light
of your compassionate manifestation to us as God, o Christ
Rising early from the night he cried out:
"The dead shall arise.
Those in the tombs shall awake.
All those on earth shall greatly rejoice.
Canon from Matins on Holy Saturday [can't find the link for it anymore]

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home