Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

15.5.07

So very glad

I was under the impression from yesterday that we would be having a week of McNinja-produced dino comics. I was prepared to give up reading for two weeks in case any residual suckiness remained. I was quite relieved when somebody told me they were just rotating through a number of comic artists instead of sucking horribly for an entire week. The way may be painful, but not THAT painful.

So I ask you, dear readers: How can you possibly like that wretched McNinja comic? I just cannot comprehend, is there some secret magic to it that I'm missing? I also can't stand reading Questionable Content or xkcd, though occasionally individual strips of the latter may be pretty great [like, the famous sudo one].

And I'll reiterate here: anybody up for a dance performance on Sunday evening? I need somebody to make snide remarks to and to tell me when not to look and thus avoid titillation. I got tricked.

7 Comments:

At 16/5/07 00:32, Blogger Nemo said...

I can't say I understand your hatred. Dr. McNinja I can see, since the basic idea is "What's funny? Things that are totally played." Questionable Content I can see, since the idea is "What's fun? Drawin' chicks." But xkcd? What's the big hate-magnet there?

 
At 17/5/07 23:03, Blogger Mr. G. Z. T. said...

XKCD: there are certainly a number of good comics in their archives, but there are also a number of horrible ones like this: http://xkcd.com/c260.html I mean, that's just unreadable. And any given day I decide, "Today is a good day I think for checking out xkcd," it is always a day they have some stupid emo comic about how the author really digs chicks or something. Gag me with a spoon! That's so eighth grade.

 
At 19/5/07 13:15, Blogger Patrick said...

De facetis non disputandum est.

Remember, I wasn't enough of an Intertubes nerd that ninja/pirate/dinosaur/zombie plotlines are "played out" for me. QC has fallen off, but its early stuff was good enough to keep me reading. And xkcd is just sublime sometimes. The point is, I find them funny often enough to keep reading.

I mean, would you argue that "Married to the Sea" isn't insufferably juvenile most of the time? IT'S THE SAME JOKE EVERY DAY.

 
At 19/5/07 13:23, Blogger Patrick said...

But I'll agree with you on one thing- Chris Hastings' DC guest comic was horribly un-imaginative.

 
At 19/5/07 15:48, Blogger Mr. G. Z. T. said...

Yeah, it's sublime sometimes, but often it's like this: http://xkcd.com/c230.html

It really does have great moments, I just can't stand regularly reading it. It's more the sort of comic I look at when people link to a good one.

But marriedtothesea has a number of jokes and is very subtle at points! Today (5/19) had a very poignant commentary on American society!

 
At 20/5/07 02:50, Blogger Patrick said...

Way too many of them are just cheap instances of mismatch humor- juxtaposing crude/banal/slangy text with a more serious picture (e.g. May 12), or putting two unrelated clip-art pictures together and making up a conversation (e.g. May 19, which I don't really see as poignant satire of anything). Sorry, I just don't get out of it what you do.

And this is an example of why arguing over humor is pointless.

 
At 20/5/07 13:45, Blogger Mr. G. Z. T. said...

It's a poignant commentary on racial relations.

And maybe I just know one too many people who complains about stuff on blogs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home