Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

4.6.05

more from the funeral services.

I weep and I wail when I think upon death, and behold our beauty, fashioned after the image of God, lying in the tomb disfigured, dishonoured, bereft of form. O marvel! What is this mystery which doth befall us? Why have we been given over unto corruption, and why have we been wedded unto death? Of a truth, as it is written, by the command of God, who giveth the departed rest.
...
A great weeping and wailing, a great sighing and agony, and Hell and destruction is the departure of the soul. This transitory life is a shadow unreal and an illusive dream; the trouble of the life of earth is a phantasm importunate. Let us, then, flee afar from every earthly sin, that we may inherit heavenly things.

As we gaze on the dead who lieth before us, let us all accept this example of our own last hour. For he vanisheth from earth like the smoke; like a flower he is faded; like the grass he is cut down. Swathed in a coarse garment he is concealed in the earth. As we leave him hidden from sight, let us beseech Christ that he will give unto him eternal rest.
Some cheery reading. Never forget that someday you too shall be as one of these. It is the final liberation from the tyranny of fashion...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home