Frustratingly bad theological methodology.
When somebody asks why the Orthodox [or Catholic] Church does not give the Eucharist to those who are not Orthodox [resp. Catholic], the proper answer is not to quote St. Paul discussing receiving communion unworthily and it is not to state that it is really and truly the Body and Blood of Christ. The first answer only alienates the questioner and obscures the significance of the sacrament; the second is relatively irrelevant. Proper response: the cosmological [that is to say, ecclesiological] and eschatological import of the Eucharist as the sacrament of the Church.

5 Comments:
A. Is this improper methodology in the context of non-Christians? [I wouldn't argue on unworthy consumption but on discernment of the Body.]
I, of course, have no need to use any methodology in the case of those baptized with a Trinitarian formula (though I really shoukd make bones about the Creeds or something.)
For those who aren't Christians, sure, I think it'd be fine. I mean, at that point they'd think, "Ah, they believe this is important loopy Christian stuff, I wouldn't want to take part in that," and everybody'd go home happy. But, if, for some absurd reason, you got cornered by a Catholic wanting to inform you why you couldn't receive the Eucharist in the Catholic Church, you would agree that talking about the Real Presence and the need to discern the Body simply misses the point?
Agreed. But I also would have occasion to question his ecclesiology and eschatology. But you're right, the latter would be a more valid form of argument.
Well, of course you disagree, you're not Catholic, you're not Orthodox, you confessionally hold to a more open communion nowadays. But at least that answer, you know, answers the question. The other doesn't, especially in the case of an Anglican who may believe in transubstantiation [if he were talking to a Catholic].
Of course.
Post a Comment
<< Home