what is justice?
Drat! My instructor asked for all the homework to be graded this afternoon, so I had to run home and grab it. Who needs stuff graded during finals? Bah! Anyways. Today at lunch, we came to require a definition of justice. Mr. Marinides suggested, "Jesus Christ," or, less boldly, "Living in accordance with the will of God." While true enough, those definitions did not seem adequate for our purposes [or perhaps I only lack courage]. I suppose it is a question of whether natural revelation and reason alone are sufficient to know Jesus Christ. I submit that it is possible to know what virtue is and what is right through reason because God has written the demands of the Law in our hearts. In the end, this natural revelation of God points us toward the full revelation of God to man which is Christ Himself, certainly, but the knowledge of what is good and what is evil, what is just and what is unjust, must be accessible to all men, whether or not they acknowledge Christ. For, otherwise, how would anybody know of their need for Christ [unless they're drawn by the beauty of the infinite]? Hence, there is a place for both the Scholastic definition and Mr. Marinides' definition, but the Scholastic should be first, as without it, the other will not be helpful.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home