on weddings
Last night, watched Kagemusha, a delightful film. Interestingly enough, one of the warlords was Catholic: it was that period of Japanese history.
So: there's a wedding Saturday in my small hometown church, I wasn't specifically invited and the parish is very small and I think they may have extended an invitation to everybody at the parish [it was mentioned in a church calendar that got put out two months ago, but didn't show up on the most recent recension of said calendar], but I don't know for certain and wouldn't want to crash it. I don't really know the woman that well, I know her brother a bit better, so I'm looking for excuses to not be present in case I am missed. Family business or travel or something. I was thinking of heading to [other town] Friday evening and coming back Saturday evening, but then I remembered my mother's opera is Friday night and I have to go to that. And that's the only real idea I had. I'd love to be there, but lacking a real invitation, I must pretend the ceremony isn't happening [I know that religious weddings are theoretically open to the public, the reception being the only thing that really requires an invite, but one should not presume in these last days]. Oh well.
I've been reading the New Testament in Greek lately. It's suprisingly easy. It's easier than the French newspapers and novels I've been reading - the grammar for both is not a problem, but I'm requiring fewer dictionary calls for the Greek.
I haven't gotten around to the Russian.
I'm back in Chicago next Friday. Doot doot.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home