Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

24.12.07

incomprehensible

I've never really been much of one to understand Protestantism, though I grew up one and think I still have a fairly decent grasp of their theology (and can confidently say that I know more about the history and actual differences in various flavors than most educated ones). But, sort of tongue-in-cheek, I asked somebody what "Emergents" are, and was pointed at the wikipedia article, and the conflicts discussed in there made me realize that I do not understand and have no desire to understand how it is possible to be Protestant. If you've read The Seven Storey Mountain, there is a scene where the young Merton is in France talking with some French Catholics, and his then-Protestantism comes up, and the French family cannot comprehend, they only ask, "How is that even possible?" And that is the way I feel whenever I sit and listen to people discuss the peculiar problems of Protestantism. How is it even possible to be a Protestant?

3 Comments:

At 26/12/07 22:41, Blogger Alice Teresa said...

I, too, have this problem, albeit with some compassion for the Anglo-Catholics.

 
At 2/1/08 11:40, Blogger Caelius said...

You really should define Protestantism if you're going to claim it's incomprehensible.

 
At 2/1/08 12:11, Blogger Mr. G. Z. T. said...

"Protestantism" more in the sense of "being a Protestant" with an emphasis on "being" rather than the mass of intellectual movements bearing the name. And a Protestant, as in, a Christian who is not Catholic, Orthodox, or some strains of Anglican. I would probably throw in some bits about being a member of some movement whose foundations were in the great unrest in the 16th century which generally believed in "sola scriptura" or "sola fide" in some sense, though they may not believe them now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home