Rethinking things.
Now that I've had time to think it over, perhaps that piece on St. Patrick isn't as convincing as I thought it was. Today a Protestant pastor visited us at vespers, he stuck around for our discussion and my doubts about the essay below were cemented. Anyways, when the pastor asked what we thought of Protestantism and Protestant Bible Studies, I managed to avoid saying, "Satanic delusions!" I had to gnaw my fist, though. Best to say nothing. If I wanted to give a peachy answer, I would've said something to the effect that Protestants have a sincere love for Christ and a devotion to the truth found in Scriptures, but it is incomplete and finds its fulfillment in the Orthodox Church, in my experience. When you join the Orthodox Church, you are not abandoning your Protestant faith, but completing it. The part I don't say aloud is that they are abandoning the satanic delusions of Protestantism while retaining its truths...
More Flannery O'Connor! More, I say!
Whenever I’m asked why Southern writers particularly have a penchant for writing about freaks, I say it is because we are still able to recognize one. To be able to recognize a freak, you have to have some conception of the whole man, and in the South the general conception of man is still, in the main, theological.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home