Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

6.6.05

Moving up to man 2...

My reckless negligence is once again reaching epic proportions, which has previously been expressed as "moving up to second-degree manslaughter". I should be able to survive. I'm more worried about my eating habits, actually. No, I really am more worried about my negligence. It's nearly 6pm and I still know very little topology. I might just have to learn only the main theorems and their proofs and a couple applications and hope natural flair can make up for the rest. See, I haven't done much of the homework and I skipped a couple key classes. I don't like homework, you know. But I did rather well on the first midterm.

What have I been reading lately? Luminous Miseries, about a minister at a "WilloRiver" church who is thinking about becoming Catholic. Interesting readings, as anybody's journey away from the dark yet shallow abyss of Nondenominational Evangelicalism always is. He will probably not be able to take advantage of the Pastoral Provision, so he's looking at giving it all up. I just realized, I've known and known of several sincere and committed Evangelicals who've converted to either Orthodoxy and Catholicism, but none who've gone the other direction. Plenty of undercatechized or unfaithful Catholics and Orthodox who have, but no sincere and committed ones. Perhaps it's an observation selection effect, so if you know of any, feel free to make them known [those who became atheists first don't count, especially if they were seminarians or monastics]. Former Catholic or Orthodox clergy, especially.

2 Comments:

At 6/6/05 20:10, Blogger Patrick said...

You know, I notice the same thing. Many of the current crop of Catholic apologists and writers are the former elite thinkers of Evangelical Christianity (Neuhaus, Shea, Hahn, et al.) who just studied their way into the Tiber.

Saying too much would be severely arrogant, but I rejoice to find people becoming so Evangelical they turn Catholic.

 
At 6/6/05 20:42, Blogger Mr. G. Z. T. said...

Benny Hinn - inventor of the Prosperity Gospel - grew up Orthodox, but I don't know how serious he was, and I've heard several stories of people who were quite serious [ie: even seminarians or novices], lost faith completely, and then became Protestant years later. But I only know personally of one real case of a reasonably serious Catholic converting directly to Protestantism, but his case is tainted by parental abuse, liberal clergy, and grand ignorance, so I treat whatever he says as behavior rather than discourse...

Really, I think the problem is that we're seated in the wrong place. If we were in Evangelical circles, we'd know the names of the grand defectors or even know some of them...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home