Today's interesting quote:
A controversy broke out in Germany later in the nineteenth century over suggestions that the apocryphal books, because of their theological 'defects', should no longer be printed as part of the Bible. The case for retaining them was persuasively argued by some of the leading conservatives among Protestant theologians,--

2 Comments:
Eh? Is there a context that makes it interesting? I don't see anything surprising about this in itself...
It's scandalous to some American Protestants I know who can't imagine that any Protestant, especially as late as the 19th century, would argue for the inclusion of the deuterocanon, much less that at that late a date Protestant Bibles would be printed including the deuterocanon. They labor under the mistaken assumption that Luther thought they weren't Scripture and that they weren't printed with Scripture in Protestant Bibles from the beginning of the Reformation. Suffice it to say that most Protestants don't know a thing about the Reformation or the Reformers [well, Calvinists do know about Calvin, but I don't think of them or him].
Post a Comment
<< Home