Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

6.2.06

oh man, it's 6th week.

!!! I've been madly learning Greek. It's going good so far. The second my Greek test is over, I'll madly review differential equations. Shouldn't be so bad, since I already know that stuff. Then I'll madly write an email to drop that one class I'm dropping but haven't sent a message to the instructor about. Then I'll madly shave the beard of justice in shame. I am become the muttonchops of death and destruction.

Liars: my Sanskrit TA [and later instructor] said, "Yeah, Greek syntax is easy, it's just like English." For the most part, he's right, esp. compared to Sanskrit, but the whole bit about participles and subjunctive vs optative subordinate clauses and crap is confusing and difficult. Sanskrit does it all a bit easier in that respect [not having a subjunctive helps]. Interestingly: Attic "ou" and "me^" have roughly parallel uses to Sanskrit "na" and "maa", the latter pair being the interesting one. All this makes me want to read Sanskrit epics again. How long, how long?

Oh gosh: I'm being put in the rotation for doing the epistle readings at the liturgy on Sundays. I really wanted to learn just so I could do it at Thursday liturgies if I ever wake up and for future reference, but standing in front of 75 people in a very large room with bad acoustics and no amplification is a little harrowing - it's not the number of people, it's the size of the room that gets me. It's a very big place, requires a large and clear voice. I can be large, I might be able to be clear, but both at the same time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home