Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

15.10.07

on the d0

I was, for a variety of reasons, making remarks about going down from the d20 to the d12 to the d6 to the d0 (including, of course, d4 and d2, d1 if necessary). The idea, of course, is that it mirrors the naming conventions for cyclic groups. The d0 would then be a marble, and you use some function to determine what the value is when it stops rolling. However, the obvious problem is that the marble is a continuum (well, no, it's finite, but that's even worse). Of course, it can be mapped onto the integers, but I don't think that's what the audience is after. We really do want something with the same cardinality, something with a one-to-one mapping! Alas, once again, physical reality has failed me.

Of course, it's failed me on its face, since the joke was to have something that would reduce the numbers produced by the die until I got down to zero, and the d0 has unlimited potential, but that's being a little too mathematical. Map it onto an interval so it's between 0 and 1, that'd be better, I'd never hit a 1 and you always have to round down when dealing with discrete quantities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home