Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

12.1.08

Because we're Christians and that's what Christians do

So I sometimes look at this one message board to kill some time, there are often people coming on asking questions about stupid stuff and sometimes there are some helpful answers to give. Here is a simple question slightly re-written to make more concise, but any errors are left in:
I've noticed that there is much, much more of an emphasis on the Holy Trinity in Orthodoxy than in my previous evangelical church... why is that, exactly? I think it's an important thing for sure, but I'm just wondering from the standpoint of wanting to understand the ramifications it has for us.

We often pray "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" and so many Orthodox prayers reference the Trinity in other ways, which is really different from the "in Jesus' name, amen"s I grew up hearing. Why is there such a strong emphasis on the Trinity in Orthodoxy that it's referred to all the time in prayer? Or additionally I guess, why don't many evangelical protestants put very much emphasis on it?
Unfortunately, I couldn't come up with anything other than, "Because we're Christians and that's what Christians do, silly." To me that's like asking why you dress up to go to the opera. Well, sure, there are other reasons to do so, of course, but it's just so obvious, there's almost no way to explain. If you have to ask, you'll never know.

2 Comments:

At 12/1/08 11:46, Blogger Nemo said...

Well, if they're looking for a causal reason, the answer is almost always "because of the early church". Semantic reasons are trickier, because the answer is "because of the early church" only, what, forty per cent of the time?

 
At 12/1/08 14:07, Blogger Mr. G. Z. T. said...

And that's the sort of explanation that's like saying, "Energy makes it go!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home