Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

16.8.05

Financial forecasts are in:

And they aren't pretty unless we get some surprises in the next couple weeks. It's going to be a lentil year [leaner than last] and I may have to consider graduating early or taking a leave of absence for the third quarter to prevent complete financial ruin.

And I'm also considering what to do if I decide that the life of a research mathematician really isn't for me. Are there any other careers? Especially, ones that aren't horrible and pay enough to get rid of horrible debts in short order? I feel like anything would only be temporary.

Today was the patronal feast of my parish in Chicago [while I am not in Chicago]. Doot doot! Tomorrow, the local bishop [not the one I'm used to] comes and episcopizes around. I'll say hey, eis polla eti, call 'im a despot, have some good times.

Currently reading: Lost in the Cosmos by Walker Percy. It styles itself as the Last Self-Help Book, it's pretty good so far.

Since I don't sing in the shower, I read poetry loudly in the bathtub and do a jig while brushing teeth.

4 Comments:

At 16/8/05 23:28, Blogger Alice Teresa said...

Aha! So that's what I overheard.

I'll pray for your discernment. And try to find tasty lentil recipes for you.

 
At 17/8/05 00:25, Blogger Patrick said...

Well, I don't know about the "horrible" part, but the NSA would probably get rid of your debts... one way or another.

That is, if you don't pull a "Good Will Hunting" on them. (Yes, I know, a poor math movie, but that scene is Pretty Darn Good.)

The business, finance and actuarial careers, though, are just too horrific to contemplate.

Maybe you could get hired by Google.

 
At 17/8/05 00:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good grief, "discernment"? If you put it like that, it sounds like I'm talking about becoming a monk and growing a horrible beard rather than becoming a teacher or something and growing a horrible beard.

And, no, you overheard my roommates singing in the shower. I wouldn't dare take a bath in Shoreland bathtubs, there's something unsavory about the entire proposition.

 
At 18/8/05 15:02, Blogger Alice Teresa said...

That reminds me! I cleaned the 706 bathtub (as well as the rest of the bathroom) while Patrick was moving out. It used about an entire can of Comet and a great deal of work, but it is cleaner than it has been in a long, long time. It made me happy, in an "it's sad that I've waited this long to clean the bathroom" sort of way. So it is no longer brown on the bottom. You're welcome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home