Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

17.10.05

Let's do everything for the first time.

So I got done with everything at 7 and thought I'd take a short nap before doing more work. I woke up several times but kept going back down and before I knew it, it was 10. It was wonderful, but I had a bizarre dream: I was looking at tables documenting how long it took corpses to rot all the way down to the bone [which happens regardless of whether you're embalmed or not]. I couldn't actually read the charts, of course, but the idea was that everything's always decayed in 28.2 years. Interesting.

I'm okay with my decay.

I want an honest job at one of your factories, please.

I had some people over and I bought some Diet Pepsi. They didn't drink the Diet Pepsi. What am I going to do with Diet Pepsi?

What I'm not going to do with it: use it to help me stay up and do complex analysis.

For the previous: no response, but I apologized. For the tone, not the content. I stand by the content.

Immortality Machines: supposing it were possible, through extremely invasive medical techniques, to prolong conscious life indefinitely [barring suicide and sudden violent death] and the use of this technology were made mandatory by law. Would you be a felon and die illicitly?

NOTE: no euthanasia, we're talking natural death.

5 Comments:

At 18/10/05 09:43, Blogger Caelius said...

Of course.

 
At 19/10/05 08:58, Blogger Alice Teresa said...

I think that what is more impressive is that people (including myself) actually drank the RC Cola.

 
At 19/10/05 16:14, Blogger Patrick said...

Interesting question. I think that the data given aren't sufficient to decide whether- and under what circumstances- it would be morally obligatory (rather than just morally licit) to refuse such treatments.

Clearly, a law mandating such treatment would be wrong, and would show as much of a warped societal understanding of life and death as do our current laws.

In what context was the question asked?

 
At 21/10/05 01:43, Blogger Mr. G. Z. T. said...

Ja, you really do need to specify what is being done. I think it can be assumed that, if they're going to market it as living forever, pretty much everything biological will eventually have to go or be replaced [let's assume the brain stays to avoid obvious difficulties]. For the sake of argument, we'll say that it doesn't happen until things start failing and the procedures will be painless.

Well, the question wasn't asked, a transhumanist asserted, when I mentioned I'd be dead in the next century, that death would be obsolete by then. I said poppycock, I'll die and be buried, and he said, no, you won't, we'll make it illegal. I thought it'd be an interesting question.

What's good enough for other folks ain't good enough for me and my RC.

 
At 22/10/05 13:05, Blogger Patrick said...

Naw, I think that if the transhumanists get into power, we untermenschen theists will still be allowed (or "allowed") to die.

And RC Cola is awesome. I miss it sometimes here in California.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home