Worried about tone.
If I'm going to be writing 1-2 articles like that every week, I will have to be very careful about tone. The tone I don't want is that disgustingly pious, creepily weird, and frankly disturbing tone that one of my acquaintance's articles in The Criterion once had that bothers me to this day. I hope none of you know that article. If I ever develop the tone of a pious and good-natured cult leader or spaceman, please inform me. And if I start giving out warm-fuzzies.
Man, that guy's article was bad. His personality had always disturbed me, but that was just weird.
Anyways! Bearded Man is dropping Greek. Nobody else in the class has a beard, much less a giant beard. I'll be lost.
I think I might just not apply to math grad school. I'm not that interested in research, and that's all that math grad school is for. Of course, this entails finding other things to do. Travelling minstrel! Travelling minstrel!

7 Comments:
There are, perhaps, good reasons for not going to grad school in math.
You do know that "because grad school applications are painful" is not one of them, right?
Oh, and today I saw somebody in the sandwich place with a "Death to the World" T-shirt.
It had a long Patristic-looking quote on subduing our passions, and a tagline (the full name was obcured from my view) by somebody the Syrian.
Any clue where I could find the quote? Google is not particularly helpful.
Isaac the Syrian.
The world is the general name for all passions. When we wish to call the passions by a common name, we call them the world. But when we wish to distinguish them by their special names, we call them passions. The passions are the following: love of riches, desire for possessions, bodily pleasures from which comes sexual passion, love of honor gives rise to envy, lust for power, arrogance and pride of position, the craving to adorn oneself with luxurious clothing and vain ornaments, the itch for human glory which is a source of rancor and resentment, and physical fear. Where these passions cease to be active, there the world is dead....
Someone has said of the Saints that while alive they were dead; for though living in the flesh, they did not live for the flesh. See for which of these passions you are alive. Then you will know how far you are alive to the world, and how far you are dead to it.
ps you'd better have poked him because that's the hella-awesomest thing EVAR.
Yep, that's exactly the quote.
No, I didn't poke him. Should have asked him where he got it- I can't find those shirts on Google.
That's because they don't really exist, at least not for sale, if you catch my drift.
at least, not to my knowledge. if they did, that'd be 10 years ago.
Post a Comment
<< Home