Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

6.10.05

You can tell me anything you want 'cept, "I started seeing Jenny."

"I started seeing Jenny." My Jenny! "You know damn well she ain't your Jenny no more."

So OCF is at Calvert House this year at 6:30 on Thursdays. Apparently, the Catholics were training extraordinary ministers of holy communion at that time slot, too, 'cause when we were all arriving they asked us whether we were there to be "eucharistic ministers" or whatever. I had the good taste not to correct their terminology, but not enough taste not to write a journal about it. Am I the only one who reads encyclicals around here?

Vespers worked allright, except people are reading certain prayers instead of cantillating. I don't know if they're doing it to encourage participation [which it does] or if they're doing it because they don't want to cantillate, but, either way, I don't like it. The human voice sounds horrible when not under the discipline of music.

I should be doing homework. Finite groupz, represent!

More to add: some parts were sung in Greek because our friends from Greece from last year were back in town, which is great. We also have a grad student regularly going to a Greek church, so I should tag along with them sometime so my pronunciation doesn't get too Atticized and so I can get out a little. Christ the Savior is great, but I should get out a bit, like, catch vigil at the Cathedral every once in a while, liturgy with the Greeks, you know?

4 Comments:

At 7/10/05 00:27, Blogger Patrick said...

Let them have their meaningless euphemisms of empowerment, Geoff. I'm sure that the training itself is OK with canon law and all that jazz.

 
At 7/10/05 01:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that it's my concern at all, and it probably is quite allright except insofar as the relevant encyclical [Redemptionis Sacramentum] also doesn't approve of the casual use of extraordinary ministers of holy communion. I'm going to stop before this turns into trolling.

 
At 7/10/05 11:20, Blogger Patrick said...

Geoff-

You're right about that, of course.

And I didn't realize it could be possible to troll on one's own blog, but I'll take your word for it.

 
At 7/10/05 12:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, get with the times. i grew up at a site whose revolutionary idea was to post troll articles and lure the biters there. there's more control that way. no need to worry about being deleted or hassled by the admins because you are the admin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home