Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

18.12.05

oh snap!

Got my grades back. Did less well in Rep Theory than I ought to have, but I had a shameful performance on the final. I also didn't do as well at logic as I should have. I don't know whether I'll take logic next quarter or not. I will, of course, take commutative algebra. I mean, what else is there?

Some Catholic rube thought it was permissible to receive communion from schismatics with a valid Eucharist if it was the only way of fulfilling their Sunday obligation, and I was like, dude, your Sunday obligation is not an obligation to receive communion, it's an obligation to be present. That's fatal ignorance, yo. What are they teaching children these days?

Possible careers besides mathematician, laid out in list form for those keeping score at home:
1. rock and rollin' superstar
2. goatherd
3. criminal mastermind
4. bohemian, aesthete, and scoundrel
5. ne'er-do-well
6. like that guy in Numbers
7. freelance hero - or otherwise seeking justice and battling cosmic evil
8. novelist, since we all enjoy my writing so much

I did sudoku for the first time today, did it in a little over an hour. Pleasant diversion.

My head's leaking. I'm taking a break from my streak.

4 Comments:

At 19/12/05 01:39, Blogger Patrick said...

You know, I should have told you to study Clifford's Theorem. Alperin just goes nuts over that one.

Oh, and I'm sorry for the bad state of catechesis. What's scary is how few Catholics know you must be in a state of grace to recieve Communion. What's scarier is how few Catholics might observe that teaching, even if they knew it.

 
At 19/12/05 10:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was from an adult convert who's rather knowledgeable! Or, at least, loud.

 
At 19/12/05 11:02, Blogger Alice Teresa said...

There are an unfortunate number of adult converts who will defend the schismatics to their doom. Some reverts as well.

 
At 19/12/05 11:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was not the context of the utterance, fortunately. It was in the context of a discussion about the excommunication of St. Stanislaus Kostka in St. Louis. She wasn't defending them, just being confused about the stated repurcussions of schism. Fortunately, she became educated about the mortal danger of the sacraments of schismatics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home