Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

19.2.06

on bass solos

Something, I don't recall what, brought back to mind an episode from slightly before the abrupt and tragic end of my career in Protestantism. I was at some sort of retreat with, among other people, Mr. Grace. I had long hated the use of instrumental music in liturgical settings, but fortunately the church we were at then sang traditional hymns in a straight-forward manner so the instrumentation was not intrusive [don't get me wrong, I still found it objectionable]. However, as this was some sort of youth retreat, they sang using horrible rock and roll instrumentation. Over the weekend, it became a common affair for me, at the end of some song, to remark to Mr. Grace that the bassist should just cut and rock out, since you could tell it's what he wanted to do and I figured we'd all enjoy it. Subtext being that this is entertainment rather than prayer and everybody involved should give up the charade. Perhaps I am and was an elitist. To quote the infamous Signor Spaghetti, "It's not much fun at the top. I envy the common people, their hearty meals and Bruce Springsteen and voting." Of course, the way to attack the use of instrumentation [particularly guitars] is on objective rather than subjective grounds, and my real criticisms are of such a nature. And note the abrupt end of my career in Protestantism had nothing to do with music, feelings, rock and roll, Mr. Grace, or [as far as I know] Signor Spaghetti.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home