Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

16.2.06

that's how i escaped certain death

I dodged it: the solution to all my problems may be to switch down to the non-accelerated Greek, and in that way I can escape a certain death. Granted, more facial hair will be lost, but that's par for the course. I shall escape responsibility! I shall not die but live!

Lent is coming: I left my copy of The Arena at home. Well, St. John of Kronstadt is good enough for Lenten reading, I suppose. I grabbed Florensky's The Pillar and Ground of Truth at the library though I don't have time to read it because Jacob wanted to talk about the section on logic. The first sentence: "Living religious experience as the sole legitimate way to gain knowledge of the dogmas -- that is how I would like to express the general theme of my book, or, rather, my jottings, which have been written at different times and in different moods." Oh ho! This I can get behind, see my quick summary of Pascal's Wager the other day. Right now I have several books checked out which I will never get around to looking at in the way they deserve. So, do I take the dilletantish course and blitz through them during spring break or something, or do I just admit they won't be read, but perhaps referred to? I think the answer will be a mixture - give a cursory glance of all of them, maybe look in depth at a couple passages from each, get a broad view of the argument, and get on with everything else. After all, it can take months to properly read a book, especially the sort of books I have lying around, and only a fool would read them only once.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home