Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

11.9.05

Thoughts about things that are stupid, evil, or otherwise disagreeable.

Pay no attention to the mad ranting.

  • Embalming is objectively immoral. I blame marketing and the evil lobbying influence of the funeral industry, which is without doubt one of the more evil industries in existence [even if you don't consider embalming to be a sin].
  • Non-religious circumcision is incomprehensible and stupid. I blame marketing and complete ignorance.
  • Both of the above are only practiced widely in America. This is proof that Americans are stupid and evil and do not know they are stupid and evil.
  • Modern evangelical "praise and worship music" is the result of commercial influence [CCM is an industry, not a genre] and the practice of worshipping one's own genitalia [echt paganism]. Evangelicalism does not have the wherewithal to resist, since The Song is the only sacrament of the Free Church tradition. Further, once evangelicals acquire any kind of knowledge, they are forced to turn either to liberalism [death] or charismaticism [shallowness, the aforementioned music], since they are by definition anti-creedal and anti-confessional, hence have no tradition to turn to when they start thinking. Thus, susceptibility to, ah, "navel"-gazing and the tyranny of commercial fashion.
  • It is, in the end, American Bourgeois Nihilism and American Gnostic Consumerism which causes all of this.
  • Anthropomorphising pets in any way is objectively disordered.
  • Anybody who goes out on more than three dates with a girl without the intention of marrying her is a cad.
  • The diamond industry is the most evil industry in the world and I fear the future Mrs. Thompson [don't worry, none on the horizon yet] would not accept that as an excuse not to buy one. Damn you, consumerism! Look who bought the myth!
  • Television may or may not be objectively evil, but I'm having a bloody hard time thinking of reasons why it might not be. The frequent watching of it leaves one open to American Gnostic Consumerism and American Bourgeois Nihilism, and I think these may be intrinsic to the medium. So it shall be tentatively named a "one-eyed portal of Satan" or whatever St. Kosmas of Aetolia called it in the 18th century.
I realize that some of you might by offended, but if you argue, I'll consider it trolling and delete your comments. I'm only half-joking [guess which half]!

5 Comments:

At 12/9/05 00:04, Blogger Patrick said...

Geoff, only you would have the imagination to make a euphemism out of "navel-gazing".

Did I mention you rock?

 
At 12/9/05 11:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm more worried that this stuff keeps me up at night.

 
At 12/9/05 11:02, Blogger Caelius said...

I was listening to BBC's Sunday Worship the other week and they were broadcasting from an Evangelical Anglican parish in Birmingham. They sang some more traditional musical fare and then they began to sing, "Open the eyes of my heart." And frighteningly enough, I began to sing along.
Worshipping with Lutherans in Texas apparently had one downside.

On a side note: BBC Choral Evensong this week comes from a monastery in Moscow in honor of the Exaltation of the Cross.

 
At 12/9/05 11:37, Blogger Alice Teresa said...

I can never tell which half is joking...

 
At 12/9/05 12:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was the "trolling" part, people complaining would probably be in earnest. The mad ranting is all true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home