Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

22.1.06

disturbing development: confessions of a card-carrying liberalist.

I fear I just lost all of my liberalist cred. It's one thing to read about Catholic sex all day, but that's acceptable for a liberalist. However, I started reading some Focus on the Family publication and its discussions of dating and various other gooey issues which plague those unfortunate 20-somethings who aren't me. And I liked it. Quite a lot. But, to the liberalist ideologue, Focus on the Family is the Great Satan, the hater of progress and democracy, the standardbearer for the "theocons" and other Bad Men. In other words, the epitome of all that is evil about The Right. And I dig it! Now, I've been describing myself as a reactionary theocrat for ages, but, still, a liberalist reactionary theocrat. But, now that I actually like something from Focus on the Family, how can I keep up the charade?

Well, one answer is to concern oneself with only international politics and fake a foreign accent. Vraiment, there is no real Left in America, so it's no surprise a foreign Leftist would look foreign to American liberalists.

Another answer is to put on sackcloth, go barefoot, and preach repentance on the streets. It would be singularly inappropriate for such a man to be concerned with "princes and sons of men, in whom there is no salvation".

Another answer, which will not be entertained, is to become conservative. This needs no discussion; the only thing more disgusting than the liberalist is the conservative. I can only chastise the liberalists because they are worth chastising. Let us not speak any further of the conservatives.

Another answer is to simply live the life I sing about in my songs, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. I can be a liberalist if I want to, even if I think a lot of people worship their own genitalia and that just isn't right.

2 Comments:

At 24/1/06 11:09, Blogger Patrick said...

How about trying to fit the world into neither category? You know, recognizing that human habits are improvable with proper government and culture, but that ultimately human nature is not perfectible in this life. Admitting that some things are about power relations, but that some other things just aren't...

I mean, not to say you don't think these things already.

 
At 24/1/06 11:22, Blogger Mr. G. Z. T. said...

Oh, of course, but it's so cliche to say, "Oh, gosh, I'm not a liberalist or a conservative." I mean, c'mon, I'm almost completely apolitical, but it's so much easier to hang a label on your door.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home