Œcumenical Panheresy.

I am Mr. G. Z. Thompson. You may call me Mr. Thompson.

15.1.06

I might actually start writing on that series for that horrible site.

I popped in the first post, a tribute to my recently-retired better, hopefully taking up his mantle with a double-portion on the side. First post: aborting females in India. The end goal is to drill into people's heads that abortion is anti-feminist, or at least a symptom of anti-feminist societies. Then showing clearly that, in a just society, besides cases like ectopic pregnancies, the only abortions left are recreational. Then, of course, note that injustice done to you is no justification for the injustice you do. You have no right to be bourgeois! You have a right to breathe and to eat, and how hypocritical it is to deny it to others.

4 Comments:

At 15/1/06 18:32, Blogger Caelius said...

Mr. Thompson, you seem to have made the mistake of making a gross generalization. You really can't call a society "anti-feminist," because no one agrees about what feminism means.

The defect of a society like Saudi Arabia, or India, or the United States (the first criminalizes abortion and the latter do not) is the inability to see women as full persons. In SA, women tend to be reduced to the role of baby factory and are otherwise useless. Hence, it is a criminal to impede their only use. In India, women are an economic liability, so they must be minimized. In the US, it is often denied that women have any especial ability as nurturers or childbearers (though nature at least clearly contradicts the latter), thus legalized abortion is American society's way of saying that childbearing is not essential to her nature. Of course, there are caveats and nuance to all of thus, but all these societies cut women into little chunks. A truly "pro-feminist" society (if I may use that word) has no need for abortion for recreational reasons , because having babies is fun and fulfilling (and in such a society, it is allowed to be so). But you can't determine the attitude toward women in a society based on their abortion laws alone. Haven't they taught you anything at Chicago about logic or rhetoric? They taught me, of course, but I didn't learn anything.

 
At 15/1/06 20:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, of course. I am fully aware of the deficiency of whe word.

Note that I'm saying nothing about legality, nor about its lack. Jiminy.

 
At 15/1/06 21:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, note that the claim of those studying sex selective abortion in India is that, if the family already has a male, they do not sex-select.

 
At 16/1/06 10:55, Blogger Caelius said...

Oh, in that case, go right ahead. I suspect there's a booming underground trade in abortions for Filipino maids etc. in the Magic Kingdom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home